Famous Greek Custard Pie known as bougatsa …
- Milk – 1/2 kg
- Eggs – 3
- Semolina – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla – 2
- Sugar – 1 cup of tea
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
For the pastry:
- Flour – 1kg
- Salt – 1 even teaspoonful
- Butter – 1 pack
- Pour into a saucepan the milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and semolina little by little, stirring over medium heat to prevent clotting.
- As soon as it begins to thicken remove it from the fire.
- When cool, add the eggs, stirring well.
- In a bowl, add the flour (keep about 200g), salt and some water to make a medium dough.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Cut the dough into 3 balls and roll out into large sheets.
- Brush leaves with butter and wrap in rolls.
- Cut into 5 pieces and place them for 10 minutes in the freezer.
- Remove from the freezer one sheet at time and roll as thin as possible.
- Put on each sheet 2 tablespoons of the cream we made, we seal the sides and begin to fold it up like envelope.
- Brush them with egg yolk and bake in preheated oven at 180ºC until golden brown.
- When cool sprinkle lightly with icing sugar and cinnamon.