- Milk – 1 liter
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cup
- Semolina – 1 cup (thin)
- Vanilla – 1
- Eggs – 5
- Butter – 250 g
- Phyllo Pastry Sheets – 450g (1 pack)
- Sugar – 3 1/2 cups
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Lemon – 1 zest and 1 teaspoon of the juice of
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla.
- In saucepan, melt butter (keep 3 tablespoons aside).
- Warm the milk over low heat, add the semolina and stir with wire until thickened slightly.
- Add the mixture with eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Let stand until it forms a nice cream and after removing from heat, add the butter and stir to melt.
- We begin to lay out the phyllo pastry sheets in our baking tray (half of the packet) making sure we butter very well each phyllo sheet with the melted butter.
- Once we laid half of the packet of phyllo pastry pour the cream and continue with the remaining sheets on top (again butter each sheet).
- If we have any butter left pour on top.
- Cut the pie into squares with a knife before putting it in the oven.
- Bake at 180 ºC for about 30-40 minutes until brown and remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the syrup: In a saucepan add the ingredients for the syrup and boil for exactly 10 minutes.
- As the syrup is hot pour using a ladle over the cold custard.
- Leave it to absorb well the syrup and then serve. (If we prefer we can prepare first the syrup, let it cool and once we take the pie out of the oven pour the syrup over it while the pie is hot. In this type of pastry we always try to have one of the two cold and the other one hot).