- 2 x 9 3/4 inch ready prepared puff pastry sheets
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds) (I ground my own in the food processor)
- ½ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 ¼ oz unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- ¼ cups chopped walnuts
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 pink lady apples, thinly sliced (really must use a mandoline for this)
- To make apple syrup, place the water and sugar in a small saucepan over lover heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat. Allow the syrup to cool completely then add the apples, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180º C (355º F). To make the filling, place the almond meal and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter, egg and honey and stir well to combine. Fold through the pistachios and walnuts and set aside.
- Cut out 2, 9-inch rounds from the pastry sheets. Cut out a 7 ½ inch round from one of the rounds to create a border and discard the center. Place the border on top of the larger pastry sheet. Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Spread the filling over the centre of the pastry and cook for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- To serve, remove the apple slices from the syrup, place on top of the pastry and drizzle with the apple syrup.