Makes 12 bars
- 3/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or bran, or oat bran
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped dried sour cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 3/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 3 ounces (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted (optionally browned)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- Position a rack in the oven and preheat to 175ºC (350ºF).
- Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper, letting the sides hang over like a sling. (This will make removing the bars a cinch.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dries to combine. Stir in the dried fruit, chocolate and nuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wets to combine. Pour them into the dries and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Spread evenly in the parchmented pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes. The Bars should feel set and firmish in the center, with browned edges.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cut while still warm into 12 bars. Cool and store in an airtight container for up to a week or so, or wrap tightly and freeze for up to a couple months.