(makes 6 extra large or 12 standard-sized muffins)
In a medium-sized bowl combine:
- 2 over-ripe bananas, well mashed
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup plus 1 tbs maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
In another bowl, sift:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup berries
- Icing sugar for dusting the top, if desired
- Combine wet and dry until just mixed.
- Gently stir in 1 heaping cup fresh berries (blueberry and raspberry make a nice combination).
- Spoon into baking cups until 2/3-3/4 full. If desired, brush the tops lightly with water and dust on sanding sugar.
- Bake at 175ºC (350ºF) for 35-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean (watch carefully at the end so as to not over bake – this timing is for fewer larger muffins, standard-sized muffins might cook more quickly).
- Cool on wire rack (take muffins out of tin or rings as soon as possible so that they do not continue to cook).