- 1 C caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp orange blossom or rose water / 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of ground cardamom (for the Date and Pistachio biscotti)
- 100gm of pistachios / almonds
- 90gm dried dates / dried apricots (roughly chopped)
- 2 C plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer (at least for 5 minutes) until slightly thick, creamy and pale yellow.
- Add the orange blossom water or vanilla extract, ground spice (if using), nuts and dried fruit and give it a couple of light stirs to combine.
- Working in small batches, pour a little of the flour mixture over the surface of the egg mixture and gently fold until just combined. Continue until all the flour is added. Do not over mix the batter.
- Divide the dough into two batches, give them a brief knead to bring it together and shape them into loaves approximately 5cm x 25cm and place them apart on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, rotating the tray after 20 minutes. Biscotti is ready when cracks appear on top of the biscotti. Don’t let the cracks get too large because that’d mean you’re over baking it.
- Remove from the oven when done and let the biscotti cool completely.
- When completely cooled, use a serrated knife to slice the biscotti as thickly or thinly as you like.
- Place the slices of biscotti on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 8-13 minutes until crisp and lightly golden.
- Cool biscotti on the wire rack. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.