- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 -12 oz packages Italian Lady fingers
- 1/2 cup cold espresso
- 1/4 cup Kahlua or coffee flavored Liquor (maybe even more than 1/4 if you like it strong!)
- 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 8 inch square baking dish (or 6×9)
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Repeat process with another layer.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving