- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g good quality dark chocolate, melted
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat immediately and leave the sugar syrup to cool completely.
- Fill a double boiler or saucepan (large enough to fit your round-bottomed bowl) halfway with water and heat gently to a very low simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks to break it up. While constantly whisking the yolks, slowly add the cooled sugar syrup in a steady stream and continue whisking until all combined.
- Place the bowl over the double boiler/saucepan (make sure the water is at a low simmer and the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water), and continuously whisk over for 8-10 minutes until it’s a light ribbon consistency (an electric whisk will cut this time down and make life easier). On a candy thermometer, it is ready at 65°C.
- Turn off the heat and continue whisking until the sabayon is a very thick ribbon consistency and it is shiny and fluffy.
- Remove the bowl from the double boiler/saucepan, then gently fold in the melted chocolate and orange zest until incorporated.
- Serve sabayon immediately in glasses (will serve 4 small glasses or 2 large).