- 1 large sweet potato (about 400g)
- 50g pecan (halves or pieces, plus extra to garnish)
- 200g cake flour (or 170g plain flour and 30g cornflour)
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1.5 tsps of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 240g light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 180ml of canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel the sweet potato and slice in half lengthways. In a microwave or over simmering water, steam the potato until tender (a knife should pierce through the flesh easily). Mash until smooth and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile toast the pecan nuts in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant. Keep an eye on them because they’ll burn easily. Remove from heat and roughly chop them, setting aside a handful of pecan halves/pieces to garnish the cake.
- Preheat oven to 175°C and grease a bundt tin (about 2.5 litre capacity).
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir through the cooled nuts.
- In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, canola oil and vanilla for a few minutes until smooth and thickened. Beat in the mashed sweet potato and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat until completely combined. Scrape batter into bundt tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. The cake should spring back when lightly pressed and the sides would have shrunk away from the tin slightly.
- Remove from oven and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out the cakes onto a lightly greased wire rack. Cool completely.
- Place the cake and the rack onto a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper. Slowly pour half the glaze over the cake and let it run over the sides. Leave to set and dry before adding another layer of glaze. Stud the top with the extra pecans to garnish and leave aside to ‘set’ before serving.
Vanilla and Cinnamon Glaze
- 90-100ml of milk (approximately)
- 1 small vanilla bean (can be replaced with 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste)
- 300g icing sugar sifted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (sifted with the icing sugar)
- Halve the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds into the milk, add in the pod and leave to infuse for about 30 minutes until fragrant. If you’re using the paste, skip this step.
- Remove the pod and discard. Add about 3/4 of the milk into the sifted sugar and whisk until sugar has dissolved and the glaze is smooth and speckled with vanilla (add the paste now if using).
- The glaze should be opaque and thick but still runny enough to pour out slowly. Add more milk to thin it out or more sifted sugar to thicken it. If it’s too runny, the glaze would just get absorbed into the cake and run off too quickly.