- 12 flourless chocolate cupcakes (Recipe Below)
- 1 stick of butter + more (for easy melting chocolate)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- dark chocolate
- sweetened coconut flakes
- In a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat, add coconut. Stir and toss until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drop cupcakes into large mixing bowl. Mash cupcakes until only crumbs.
- In a glass bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Heat in a pan until melted and lightly bubbling, about one minute. Stir and pour into cupcake crumbs.
- Using your hands, roll spherical morsels about the size of a large marble (Note: the diameter should not exceed one inch, in my opinion because of the intensity of flavor).
- Toasted Coconut Covered (Intensely Chocolate Cake Morsels): Drop rolled cake in toasted coconut and gently press the coconut into the cake so it sticks, creating a shell. Place onto wax or parchment paper. Repeat until desired amount of coconut morsels are created; Store morsels in refrigerator to set, until ready to serve.
- Chocolate Covered and Lightly Sea Salted (Intensely Chocolate Cake Morsels) – Note: Store pre-rolled cake in freezer for ten+ minutes to keep shape once in melted chocolate. Place dark chocolate into a glass bowl with a pat of butter for every 4 ounces, to ease the melting chocolate. Microwave until melted. Drop cake spheres into melted chocolate, one by one, then remove once coated and top with sea salt. Store morsels in refrigerator to set, until ready to serve.
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 extra large eggs, thoroughly beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for dusting the pan
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter 12 cup muffin/cupcake pan. Dust each cup with cocoa powder.Note: If you’re having trouble getting the sides of the muffin cups dusted, you can dip a pastry brush into cocoa powder and brush the sides of each cup lightly with the cocoa powder.
- Chop chocolate and butter into pieces and drop into a glass bowl. Microwave on high for one minute. Stir and repeat heating in thirty second intervals until completely melted. Add brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Add beaten eggs and whisk well. Sift 3/4 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter evenly into cupcake pan and bake in middle of oven until fragrant and tops have formed a thin crust, or about ten minutes. Cool cakes in pan on a rack for about two minutes and gently remove and place onto cooling rack.
- Add seasonal berries and chocolate sauce if desired.