Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 12 tablespoons (170grams/ 6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups (312.5 grams/ 11.02 oz) powdered sugar
- 7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups (187.5grams/ 6.61 oz) all purpose flour
- Cookie filling, recipe followsCookie filling:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 orange, zested
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C. In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar.Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Add the flour and mix until just well mixed.
- With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread. *Tip* – A silicon baking mat is perfect for this.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
- While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well.
- Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top.
- Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.