Cranberry Walnut Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped (plus more for top design)
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (plus more for top design)
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF). Grease or spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Fold the cranberries and nuts into the batter. Spread batter evenly in loaf pan. Top with additional nuts and berries in desired design.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Note: Serve fresh warm, or toasted the following morning with warm cranberry pomegranate glaze (recipe below). Keep in air tight container for up to three days to maintain freshness.
Cranberry Pomegranate Citrus Glaze
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate juice (seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (seeds and pulp removed)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole cranberries
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- Place medium saucepan over medium high heat and add pomegranate juice and orange juice. Whisk in powdered sugar. Add cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Add lemon zest and let simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat to cool to warm. The glaze should appear thick and become more like syrup as it cools. Note: the cranberries/skins may be strained after cooking without the glaze losing flavor.