- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 Digestive biscuits (to make 1 1/4 cup crumbs) (I used light Digestives)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g dark chocolate finely chopped, plus an extra 50g melted for the drizzle
- 16 large white marshmallows (or Vanilla Bean Marshmallows, recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until they are a very fine crumb.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbs with the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugars on medium speed until they are creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture and the chopped chocolate. Mix on low until just combined.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and place them well apart on a two baking sheets lined with baking paper. Bake for at least 7 minutes (mine took 10 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Preheat the grill (broiler).
- Put eight of the cookies on a baking paper lined baking sheet, bottom-up. Place a marshmallow on top of each cookie and toast under the grill until golden. Make sure you watch them like a hawk. These babies will burn in no time. Top with the remaining cookies while the marshmallows are still warm. Cool on a wire rack.
- Put the melted chocolate into a small zip-lock bag and snip a tiny whole in the corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.
Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons gelatine (2 sachets)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- icing sugar for dusting and coating
- Use cooking oil spray to grease a 20cm square cake pan and generously sprinkle it with icing sugar.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine evenly over the surface of the water. Give it a stir and set it aside.
- Put the caster sugar and 1/2 cup of water into a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until dissolved.
- Add the gelatine and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the bowl of an electric mixer. Let it stand to partially cool.
- Add the salt, vanilla seeds and vanilla extract.
- Beat until fluffy and doubled in size – about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and even out the surface with a spatula. Sprinkle more icing sugar on top and then allow it to set for 2 -3 hours.
- Spray a pallet knife with cooking oil and run it around the edges of the pan. Turn the marshmallow slab out. (Marshmallow slab, doesn’t that sound good?). Cut into your desired shapes, spraying your knife or cookie cutter with cooking oil to stop the marshmallows from sticking to it. Roll the marshmallows in icing sugar and get ready for a sugar rush.