- 3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on high for one minute. Add cream, vanilla and sugars and beat on medium low for one minute and gradually increase speed until butter and sugar are thoroughly creamed together. Turn off mixer and sift in flour and salt. Mix on medium low until all ingredients are fully mixed and you are able to form a ball of dough.
- Form into disc, wrap in wax paper and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to three hundred fifty degrees fahrenheit and remove dough from refrigerator. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out dough until half an inch thick. Cut three inch in diameter rounds and place onto ungreased baking sheet. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 13 minutes or until edges of cookies begin to brown.
- Remove and transfer to cooling rack while warm. Place parchment paper under cooling rack and spoon ganache (recipe follows) onto shortbread and top with your favorite toppings.
Chocolate ganache frosting
- 8 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Irish cream whiskey
- Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until thoroughly melted. Add cream and whisk until thoroughly blended and creamy. Whisk in Irish cream whiskey and bring to room temperature.
- Note: These are my most favorite holiday cookie. They’re great for gifts and for personalizing to those you’re giving them to by simply adding different toppings. There is always a batch of these ready to go in my freezer just in case I need an emergency gift. You may freeze shortbread dough for at least 3 weeks wrapped in wax paper and sealed in an air tight container. Remove from freezer and place in refrigerator overnight (or for at least 8 hours) and they’ll be ready to roll out in the morning.
- Preheat oven to 175°c.
Step 1: In a small mixer bowl, cream together until light and fluffy
- 3/4 cup real butter, softened but still cool
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (shaken to level)
Step 2: Add
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (shaken to level)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (shaken to level)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted macadamia nuts, or other preferred nut
On low speed, mix until blended well, scraping bowl.
Step 3: Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in ½ cup very finely chopped nuts (or in granulated sugar if you’re not trying to keep to less than 6 ingredients). Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten with a greased cookie stamp or flat-bottomed glass. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove shortbreads to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen 2 1/2-inch cookies.