- 1 stick chilled butter, cut into pea sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- small pinch of ground cloves
- small pinch of ground ginger
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 baseball sized apples, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Prepare for baking: Move oven rack to top third of oven, preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Place muffin tin on a larger baking sheet for baking.
- Make streusel: Combine butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, oats, flour and sugar into a bowl. Mix with pastry cutter or your fingers until uniform in texture and crumbly. You’re done when the mixture sticks to itself when pinched. Reserve about three quarters of a cup of streusel for top layer and then divide remaining streusel evenly among the bottom of cupcake wrappers. Press gently to create a bottom layer of streusel.
- Prepare apples: Toss chopped apples with orange juice to add flavor and prevent browning. Add one layer of bite sized apples to each cup. The cups should be about three quarters of the way filled, now.
- Sprinkle remaining streusel evenly over the layer of apples. Gently press into the apple layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-23 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the cupcake tin on a wire rack for about seven minutes. Once cool enough to handle remove cups from tin. Enjoy warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired, or chill once the cups are cooled to room temperature for future devouring.