- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1¼ cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 5 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into quarters
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 230˚ C. Combine the cherries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small roasting pan and toss well to combine. Roast the cherries for 10 minutes, or until they begin to release their juices. Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180˚C.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, remaining sugar, vanilla and salt; whisk until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture until incorporated. Then stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until just combined. Gently fold in the roasted cherries. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread with a spatula to make an even layer. Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, about 35 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Remove the brownies from the pan using the foil and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into squares as desired. Store in an air-tight container.