- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into ¼-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 tbs. juice from an orange (or lemon)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest (or lemon)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅔ cup fat free cream half and half
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the strawberries, juice, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the zest and remaining sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingertips until moist and fragrant.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the zest/sugar mixture and whisk to combine. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands) to cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs. Add the cream to the bowl and stir until the dough starts to come together, then gently fold in the strawberry mixture.
- Use a small cookie scoop (about 1½ tablespoons) to drop dough onto the prepared baking sheet, evenly spaced apart. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Transfer the pans to wire racks and let the cookies cool. The cookies are best the day they’re made, but can be kept in an airtight container for 1 day.