- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and filled with new water
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 2 1/4 cups raw sugar
- 1 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 4 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of stout beer, such as Guinness (or water)
- 1 cup nuts or chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Drain a can of black beans and rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear. Return the black beans back to the can and fill with water. Puree the beans and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee power, salt and baking powder. Add the black bean puree, vanilla and stout to the dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan around halfway through. They should be almost firm in the center.
- Let brownies cool completely then cut into 24 squares.