- ½ cup milk (2%)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon regular ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ cups pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- Make the dough: Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave until butter melts. Remove pan from heat and set aside until the mixture is lukewarm (about 100 degrees). In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, mix together the warm water, yeast, sugar, egg, and yolk at low speed until well mixed. Add the salt, warm milk mixture, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 cups of the flour, and mix at medium speed until thoroughly blended, about 1 minute. Switch to the dough hook, add another 2 cups of the flour, and knead at medium speed (adding ¼ cup more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary) until the dough is smooth, about 10 minutes. Scrape the dough into a large lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in refrigerator overnight. The next morning…
- Mix the filling: Mix together the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Make the topping: In a medium sized pot over medium high heat, mix together the butter, light brown sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir constantly as you bring to a boil. Once it has come to a boil, remove from the heat. Butter a 9 X 13 inch cake pan. Pour caramel topping into the pan. Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly over the surface of the caramel. Set aside.
- Form the rolls: Turn dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, shape the dough into a 16 by 12 inch rectangle, with a short side facing you. Spread half of the sugar, butter, cinnamon mixture over 2/3 of the rectangle. Starting with the unbuttered third, fold the dough into thirds like a letter. Roll out to a large rectangle again and fold in thirds again. Then fold in thirds one more time. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about half an hour. Then roll dough out to a 16 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread the remaining sugar, butter, cinnamon mixture over the entire surface and roll up, starting at one of the 12-inch sides. Cut log evenly into 6 rolls. Place rolls onto nuts & caramel in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (45 minutes to an hour). While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bake the rolls: When the rolls have fully risen, put in the preheated oven and bake until rolls are deep golden brown and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of a roll reads 85-88°C, about 28-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Invert rolls onto a large cookie sheet, making sure to get all of the caramel and nuts on top. Cool for 10-15 more minutes before serving.
Makes 6 rolls