- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon water
- Cut cold butter and cream cheese into bits. In food processor pulse flour, salt, butter, cream cheese and sour cream until crumbly. (I suppose you could also do this with a pastry cutter, but a food processor does a great job.)
- Pour half of the crumbly mixture onto a 1 ft. piece of plastic wrap, and shape into a rectangle about 5 x 8 inches or so. Wrap up in plastic wrap. Repeat with the other half. Refrigerate 2 hours to 2 days.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Roll each rectangle into a rectangle that is between 1/8 and ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle rectangle with sugar/nut mixture. Press lightly into dough. With chef’s knife or pizza cutter, cut rectangle lengthwise into two thinner rectangles. Roll each rectangle to form a long log.
- Cut each log into 1½ inch segments, so you end up with 9-10 segments per log. Place pieces onto either an ungreased baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Beat egg white 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp water. Brush each piece with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- Bake rugelach in the center rack of your oven 22-24 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight containers.