- 3/4 (105 g) + 1/4 (35 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tspn baking powder
- 3/4 tspn salt
- 1 1/4 (250 g) sugar
- 8 oz (225 g) almond paste
- 1 cup (8 oz/225 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tspn orange blossom water
- 1 1/2 tspn almond extract
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 12 oz. blackberries
- 1 Tbspn sugar
- juice of half a meyer lemon
- 1/4 tspn orange blossom water, opt.
- bittersweet (72%) chocolate curls (see note)
- for cake. Preheat oven to 165° C. Butter and flour the insides of an 8 x 3-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a parchment round. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk to combine ¾ cup (105 g) flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the remaining ¼ cup (35 g) of flour, sugar, almond paste, and butter. Process until the almond paste is finely ground and well-combined with the butter.
4. Add in the orange blossom water and the almond extract and pulse briefly to combine.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, processing well between each addition. Continue to process until the mixture is smooth and light.
6. Add the flour mixture to the batter in two additions, pulsing briefly after each addition just until combined, but do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 60 – 65 minutes, until the top is brown and the sides are just beginning to pull away from the pan. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
8. Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan and turn the cake out. Place upright on a wire rack and let cool completely.
9. for topping. In a bowl, gently toss to combine the blackberries with the sugar, meyer lemon juice, and orange blossom water, if using. Let sit for 10 minutes. Top the cake with the blackberries and sprinkle liberally with chocolate curls before serving.
Note: To make chocolate curls, heat a block of chocolate on high in the microwave for 5 – 10 seconds. The key is just to warm it very slightly but not to melt the chocolate. Run a vegetable peeler along the flat edges of the chocolate block to create the curls. Keep curls cool before use.