makes about 18 cupcakes
for chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare 18 cupcake molds and liners.
- In a mixer bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the beaten egg, vegetable oil, and milk. Stir to mix. Then, with the mixer on low, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix on low until evenly distributed.
- Pour the boiling water into the batter and mix on medium low until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. When a toothpick inserted at the center of the cupcake comes out cleanly, the cakes are done. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Tip: I highly recommend using cupcake liners for this because the cake is so moist and fluffy that it would probably stick to the cupcake molds and create much trouble!
for lemon mascarpone frosting:
- 1/2 lb. mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- freshly grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixer bowl. Beat on high until soft peaks form. Do not overmix!
- Immediately after the frosting forms, pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.