makes one 6-inch, 3 layer cake
for lemon cake:
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 Tbspn (192.5 gr) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 stick (8 Tbspn) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 gr) sugar
- 1 tspn fresh lemon zest
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbspn whole milk
- 2 Tbspn freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour three 6 x 2 inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment rounds and grease again. If desired, line the cake pans with bake-even strips. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour in three additions, alternating each with milk and lemon juice.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes come out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before turning out of the pans and cooling completely.
for speculoos frosting:
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbpsn) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup speculoos spread
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cold
- dark chocolate sprinkles
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the speculoos spread and beat until well-combined.
- Gradually beat in the sifted powdered sugar.
- Gradually add small chunks of the cold cream cheese, beating well after each addition.
- Frost cake, adding chocolate sprinkles between each layer and on top.