makes two 8 x 8″ square pans
- 2 1/2 sticks butter (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup black cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 heaping tspn coarse salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 cup AP flour
- Place the oven rack in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat oven to 165 degrees C. Line the sides and bottom of the two 8 x 8 baking pans with parchment paper or foil, leaving some overhang so that you can lift out the brownies after baking. Set aside.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, combine the butter, cocoa powders, sugar, and salt. Stir until the butter melts completely, everything is thoroughly combined, and the batter is just barely hot to the touch. Remove from the double boiler and let cool until warm.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate batter one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Fold in the flour in < 40 strokes. Divide the batter between the two prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. The brownies will look a bit underdone, but they will continue to cook as they cool in the pans.
- Once completely cool, lift the brownies from the pans and cut into pieces.