makes 2 loaves
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbspn fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbspn vanilla
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 2 Tbspn freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup dried lavender flowers
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter and flour the sides and bottoms of two loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine milk, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and freshly grated lemon zest. Mix to combine.
- Add the softened butter to the flour mixture. Cream for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Gradually add the milk mixture in 2-3 parts, mixing thoroughly for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before each addition.
- Mix in lavender flowers until evenly distributed through the batter. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter into the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in oven for ~30-35 minutes. When the tops are about to crack, score the tops in one line with a sharp, oiled knife to create an even crack. Then, place an oiled piece of foil on top of the cakes, oil side down. Continue to bake for 25-30 minutes (for a total baking time of ~55-60 minutes).
- When a toothpick removed from the center of the cake comes out clean, the cakes are done. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes on a rack before turning the cakes out. Let cool completely.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- sliced almonds, optional
- Mix together the powdered sugar and the lemon juice.
- Add in the lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Pour the glaze over the pound cakes.
- Immediately top with a sprinkling of sliced almonds, if using. Let dry.