makes four 6-layer, 2″ cakelettes
for cake layers:
- 7 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 lb (456 gr | 3.5 cups) powdered sugar
- 3 1/3 oz. (94 gr | 3/4 cups) AP flour
- 1/2 Tbspn lemon juice
- 1 tspn instant espresso powder
- 1/2 Tbspn vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees C. Line two half-sheet (12×17″) pans with parchment paper, and grease and flour the parchment.
- Separate the eggs. Weigh the egg whites and the egg yolks, including the three extra yolks, and divide each in half. You will be making two cake layers, repeating the recipe steps twice with half of the ingredients each time.
- Place half of the total egg yolks in a mixer bowl with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high until light. Reduce speed and gradually add 1/2 lb. of the powdered sugar. Return to high and continue to whisk until thick and glossy. Reduce speed again and gradually add half of the flour. Return to high; whisk for five minutes more. Stir in the lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine half of the total egg whites with a pinch of salt. Beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Stir 1/4 of the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten the batter. Then, fold in the remainder of the whipped whites. Do not overmix!
- Spread the batter onto one of the prepared pans and bake for 5-7 minutes until golden brown on top with some darker spots. Remove from the oven and pan, and invert onto a greased wire rack. Let cool completely. When cool, use a 2″ cookie cutter and cut out twelve cake circles.
- To make the mocha layers, repeat steps with remaining ingredients. Add the instant espresso powder in with the flour, and substitute the vanilla extract for the lemon juice.
- 1/2 lb (227 gr) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 lb (226 gr | 2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbspn powdered sugar
- Melt the chocolate and let cool until room temperature.
- Beat the butter until soft and creamy. Mix in the vanilla extract, egg yolks, powdered sugar, and cooled chocolate. Beat until smooth.
- Stack the cake rounds with thin layers of frosting, alternating between the mocha and plain cake flavors. Cover the cakes with a thin crumb coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cover with the remaining frosting and top with fresh raspberries.
Warning: Please be advised that this cake does have raw eggs in the frosting. Make sure to use fresh eggs from a source that you trust.