Yield: 18 cookie sandwiches
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup 1 percent milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup vanilla nonfat Greek frozen yogurt (or any vanilla frozen yogurt)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a food processor or electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add the canola oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla and pulse until combined. Add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon and pulse until combined. Add the oats and pulse quickly, just until oats are fully mixed in.
- Measure exact tablespoons of dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press dough flat, into cookie-shaped rounds (cookies will not flatten on their own in the oven). Bake for 7-9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set frozen yogurt on counter and allow it to begin to thaw and soften, about 15 minutes. Place softened frozen yogurt and peanut butter in a food processor or blender and pulse until just combined.
- Spoon heaping teaspoons of the peanut butter filling on half of the chocolate oatmeal cookies. Top each with a second cookie, forming sandwiches. Serve immediately.