makes one 3-layer 8″ cakefor pumpkin-graham cracker chiffon:
- 225 gr graham crackers (preferably homemade), finely ground or digestive biscuits
- 1 cup (200gr) sugar
- 1 Tbspn baking powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 2 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn ground ginger
- 1/2 tspn allspice
- 1/4 tspn ground nutmeg
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (~170gr) pumpkin puree
- 6 Tbspn vegetable oil
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- 7 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 Tbspn sugar (additional)
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees C. Prepare three 8″ spring-form cake pans. Do not grease. If desired, use even-bake strips.
- Sift together the ground graham crackers, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Whisk to combine the egg yolks, pumpkin puree, oil, and vanilla extract together. Add in the dry ingredients and stir together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, gradually adding the remaining 2 Tbspn sugar.
- Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites just until there are no streaks left.
- Divide the batter amongst the three cake pans and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out cleanly. Remove from oven and invert the pans to cool upside-down on wire racks.
- When cool, run a knife around the edge of the cake pans to remove the cakes.
for toasted marshmallow filling:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup (200 gr) sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbspn light corn syrup
- 5 Tbspn water
- 1/4 tspn cream of tartar
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- In a double boiler over boiling water, combine the egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, water, cream of tartar, and salt. Whisk for 6-8 minutes over heat, until a meringue forms.
- Remove from heat and continue whisking, gradually adding in the vanilla extract, until the meringue is cool and very thick.
- Spread the meringue in a thin layer on a baking sheet and, using a blow torch or under a hot broiler, toast the surface of the meringue until brown. Return to the bowl and whisk until cool. Use immediately.
for dark chocolate ganache:
- 9 oz. dark chocolate (at least 60+%), chopped
- 7.5 oz. heavy cream
- 3 Tbspn butter
- Prepare the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Cook the heavy cream and butter over medium high heat until a simmer. Remove from heat and pour over prepared chocolate. Stir until no streaks remain. Use immediately.
- Spread each cake layer with dark chocolate ganache.
- Stack the cakes with a generous layer of toasted marshmallow frosting in between.
- Spread a thin crumb coat of ganache over the cake and let cool briefly before glazing with the remaining dark chocolate. Reheat the dark chocolate if necessary to maintain a pouring consistency. Top with nonpareils. Serve immediately.