makes 12 cupcakes
for strawberry cupcakes:
- 1/2 lb. frozen strawberries, thawed with juices
- 1 1/2 Tbspn (17 gr) + 3/4 cup (150 gr) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups (200 gr) AP flour
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 2 tspn baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- Combine thawed strawberries (with juices) and 1 1/2 Tbspn sugar in a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Cook and simmer until the strawberries have reduced by a half, leaving about 3/4 cup. Puree in a food processor and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare and line 12 cupcake molds.
- Whisk to combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and whole milk. Set aside.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue beating.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients in two additions, alternating between dry and wet. Beat until combined.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake molds, filling each mold to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes come out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
for cinnamon-cream cheese frosting:
- 4 Tbspn (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (300 gr) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 8 oz. (113 gr) cream cheese, cold
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Gradually beat in the sifted powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Gradually add small chunks of the cold cream cheese, beating well after each addition.
- Frost cupcakes immediately. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
Cake recipe loosely adapted from Sky High Cakes.