makes 16 muffins
for muffin batter
- 2 cups (280 g) + 1 Tbspn (9 g) all-purpose flour
- 2½ tspn baking powder
- ½ tspn salt
- 1½ cups (150 g) sugar
- 10 – 12 lemon verbena leaves
- 1 stick (113 g) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (230 g) whole milk
- 160 g olallieberries, frozen
- ½ cup (70 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) dark brown sugar
- ¼ tspn baking powder
- ¼ tspn salt
- ½ stick (57 g) butter, cold
- for muffin batter. Preheat oven to 180° C. Prepare non-stick muffin pans with 16 muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk to combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the sugar in another small bowl. Tear the lemon verbena leaves, and use your fingers to rub the leaves into the sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the lemon verbena sugar to the butter and continue beating until smooth.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Beat in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter amongst the prepared muffin tins.
- Coat the olallieberries with one tablespoon of flour. Divide the olallieberries and place on top of the batter.
- for topping. In a bowl, combine the flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry or fork until the butter is the size of small peas. Spoon on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out cleanly and the edges turn golden.
- Remove from oven, let cool briefly, and remove the muffins from the pans. Let the muffins cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: this recipe I could imagine it working quite nicely with blueberries or blackberries, too.