Fresh pineapple puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium-large pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the sugar and water without stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the pineapple to the boiling sugar water and return to a complete rolling boil, without stirring.
- Remove from heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let cool overnight.
- Once cooled, drain the liquid from the pineapple. Save the syrup for other uses.
- Put the pineapple in a food processor and process until completely pureed with no chunks. You will need 1/2 cup of this pineapple puree for the buttercream. Save the rest for eating on its own or other uses.
- 180 grams egg whites (~6 eggs)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tspn coconut extract
- 400 grams flour
- 2 Tbspn baking powder (if making a cake instead of cupcakes, decrease this amount to 5 tspn)
- 1 tspn salt
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 375 grams sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg whites. Add 1/3 cup coconut milk, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter in a mixer bowl. Beat on low for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar to the butter and beat for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat until combined.
- In three parts, alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients to the batter. Beat thoroughly between each addition.
- Spoon or pipe batter into cupcake molds, filling the molds about halfway.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. (For mini-cupcakes, bake 15 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
Pineapple Italian Meringue Buttercream
- 11 oz. sugar
- 5 oz. water
- 150 grams egg whites
- 65 grams sugar
- 1 lb. (4 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple puree
- 2 Tbspn rum or tequila, optional
- shredded coconut, optional
- sprinkles, optional
- Combine water and 11 oz. sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat. Without stirring, bring to a boil and let cook until the temperature reaches 115 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites in a mixer bowl. With the whisk attachment, begin whisking the egg whites when the syrup cooking on the stove reaches 105 degrees C. Start whisking on low until the whites begin to foam, then increase speed to high and gradually add the remainder of the sugar. Whip until soft peaks.
- Once the syrup has reached 115 degrees C (soft ball stage) and the whites have been whipped to soft peaks, gradually pour the syrup in a small stream into the egg whites, whisking on medium high continuously. Be careful not to allow the sugar syrup to fall on the beaters.
- Continue whisking until the bowl of the mixer is at body temperature and not warm anymore.
- Slowly begin to add the butter, about a half tablespoon at a time.
- Once all of the butter is incorporated, continue whisking while adding the pineapple puree and alcohol, if using. If the mixture looks curdled, keep whisking until consistency is restored.
- Spread or pipe onto cupcakes when complete, top with shredded coconut and sprinkles, if desired.