for tart shell:
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour
- 1 1/2 Tbspn dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 2 tspn freshly grated meyer lemon zest
- 10 Tbspn butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbspn fresh meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 tspn vanilla
- 1 – 2 Tbspn cold water
- Combine the flour, dark brown sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a bowl. Mix.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is the size of small peas.
- Mix in the lemon juice and vanilla into the flour mixture. Gradually add the water just until a dough forms when pressed between your fingers. Do not overmix.
- Form the dough into a flat disc, wrap with parchment paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until about 1/8-inch thickness and place in the tart pan, pressing the dough gently into the sides. Trim and discard any excess dough. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork. Return to the refrigerator and chill for at least 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough and weigh down with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the edges begin to turn golden. Remove the weights and parchment paper and continue to bake for 3 – 5 minutes more, until the entire tart crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- 2 – 3 punnets strawberries
- 1 Tbspn water
- 1/4 + 1/8 tspn gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp or puree
- 1 1/2 Tbspn sugar
- whipped cream, optional
- Trim the green end off the strawberries and arrange in the cooled tart shell.
- Place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin powder over the water and let sit briefly.
- In a small saucepan, stir to combine the passionfruit and sugar. Add the gelatin and warm over low heat until, stirring until the gelatin has completely dissolved. Do not let boil.
- Once dissolved, remove from heat and let cool briefly. Spoon or brush a thin layer of the passionfruit onto the strawberries–do not use all of the passionfruit. Place the tart in the refrigerator to let the first layer of jelly set. Keep the passionfruit at room temperature. After about 20 – 30 minutes, brush another layer of passionfruit jelly onto the tart and return to chill. Repeat once more, using the remainder of the passionfruit. Tart is ready to serve when the jelly has set completely. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.