makes one 9-inch tartfor cranberry filling:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 125 g sugar
- zest of 1 small orange
- juice of 1 small orange
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ vanilla bean
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, orange zest, and orange and lemon juices in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds into the cranberries, and add the vanilla bean shell.
- Over medium heat, bring the cranberries to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let the cranberries boil, bubbling vigorously, for about 5 to 7 minutes without stirring. Once the cranberries begin to thicken, stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the mix reaches a consistency of warm jam.
- Remove from heat immediately and let cool to room temperature. Remove the vanilla bean pod before using.
- 30 g hazelnuts
- 76 g almonds
- 125 g all-purpose flour
- 150 g sugar
- ½ tspn salt
- 1½ tspn ground cinnamon
- ¾ tspn ground cloves
- 10 Tbspn (142 g) butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ tspn almond extract
- In a food processor, combine the hazelnuts, almonds, flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Pulse until the nuts are completely ground.
- Cut the butter into small chunks. Add the butter, egg yolk, lemon and orange zest, and almond extract to the flour mixture. Pulse just until a dough begins to form.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, wrap with parchment paper, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°. Grease and flour one 9-inch springform pan, and line the bottom with a parchment round.
- Reserve a third of the dough and press the remainder into the bottom of the pan. Spread a thin layer of cranberry filling on top, leaving a 1-inch ring of dough exposed around the edge.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a floured surface. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes and scatter randomly atop the tart.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown around the edges and on top.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, and then loosen the sides with a thin knife. Let cool completely before serving.