- 2 small beets (200 g total)
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 12 Tbspn butter, at room temperature
- 200 g brown sugar
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 30 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from oven and let cool completely. When cool, cut off the tails, and peel the beets. Grate the beets and set aside.
- Prepare a bundt mold by greasing and flouring the inside. Keep the oven at 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Put the butter in a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment. Cream until light, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and continue beating on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 more minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In two stages, add in the flour mixture, alternating with the creme fraiche and the whole milk. Mix well until combined but do not overmix. Pour in the hot coffee and mix. Fold in the grated beets.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack at least 20 minutes before unmolding from the pan. Let cool completely on the rack.
- 9 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 7.5 oz heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbspn butter
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream and butter just until simmering.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate. Remove from heat, and let sit for a minute or so.
- Stir the cream into the chocolate until smooth. Cool until tepid and slightly thickened, and pour/spread onto the cake.
for kale chips and almonds:
- 1 bunch curly kale, stemmed
- 1 Tbspn olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
- Chop the kale into medium-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, spread the sliced almonds out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, rotating once, until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Either layer the kale chips and almonds on the cake, or smash into crumbs and sprinkle on the cake for a bit of savory bite.
Note: Use the kale chips shortly after they are made (or keep in an airtight container), and add them to the cake just before serving. The kale will soften if left to the open air and on the cake too long.