makes six 4.5-inch tarts
for tart shells:
- 9 Tbspn (4.5 oz/127 gr) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) sugar
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups (250 gr) AP flour
- In a mixer bowl, combine butter, sugar, and salt. Beat on medium until smooth.
- Mix in egg and beat until smooth.
- Add flour to the bowl, mix on low just until incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in parchment paper or cling wrap and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees C.
- Working quickly, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Press down into six 4.5-inch tart pans and prick the bottoms all over with a fork. Keep the dough cold, and if necessary, place in freezer for a few minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, rotating once half-way through for even baking, until the crusts are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
for passionfruit tapioca filling:
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbspn (5 oz.) passionfruit puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup (170 gr) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls (not instant tapioca)
- Prepare a double boiler, with water simmering in the bottom half.
- In the bowl of the double boiler, whisk to combine the passionfruit puree, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and salt. Whisking constantly, cook in the double boiler over simmering water until the mixture becomes very thick and reaches 85 degrees C.
- Remove from the stove and whisk to cool, until 60 degrees C. Place the mixture in a blender or a food processor. While the blender/food processor is running, add the butter one tablespoon at a time, allowing each addition to fully incorporate into the curd before adding the next tablespoon.
- Meanwhile, fill a small pot with two inches of water. Bring to a simmer and add the tapioca pearls. The pearls should be well-covered with water. Simmer and stir for about 12-15 minutes, until the tapioca pearls are al dente, with a mostly translucent outside. Drain in a mesh strainer.
- Stir the drained tapioca pearls into the finished passionfruit curd. Pour into the cooled tart shells and refrigerate for at least one hour, until the filling is set.
for lemon cream:
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbspn powdered sugar
- 2 tspn fresh lemon juice
- fresh zest from 2 lemons
- In a bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese and whipping cream. Beat until very soft peaks.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat just until stiff peaks but do not overwhip.
- Spoon or pipe the cream onto the prepared tarts.