- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 385 gr (2 1/4 cups) AP flour
- dash of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 8 oz butter, at room temperature and cut into pieces
- zest of 1 lemon, freshly grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Combine the powdered sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks, butter, and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a dough begins to form.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and wrap in parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the fillings–recipes included below.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare cookie sheets lined with silpats or parchment paper.
- Lightly sprinkle your workspace with powdered sugar or flour. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter (~2.5 – 3 inches in diameter), cut out rounds.
- For apricot hamantaschen, spoon about a teaspoon of filling into the center of each cookie. For blackberry-marzipan hamantaschen, place about a teaspoon of almond paste in the center of each cookie round and top with a small amount of blackberry preserves.
- Fold the edged of the cookie rounds up and pinch the corners together. Place the cookies on the prepared lined cookie sheets. Brush the outsides of the cookies with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Note: Despite tasting really good, this is perhaps one of the most temperamental doughs I’ve worked with. It likes to be rolled out cold (otherwise sticks to everything, even parchment paper) but folded into cookie form when it’s a little closer to room temperature.
Note: Don’t roll the dough out thinner than 1/4 of an inch, either, which will make it difficult to work with.
- 1/4 lbs dried (California) apricots (~7 gr)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- sprinkle of lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Combine the dried apricots, water, and sugar in a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Over medium-low heat, cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes more, until the liquid has reduced.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into a food processor. Add a small sprinkling of lemon juice. Pulse until the apricots are roughly chopped but do not process until smooth.
- Let cool before filling cookies.
for blackberry-marzipan filling:
almond paste (marzipan)