makes ~5 dozen
- 5 cups flour
- 4 tspn baking soda
- 2 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbspn ground ginger
- 1 tspn ground cloves
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup brown butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbspn molasses
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger (bigger pieces are better than smaller)
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Stir the eggs and molasses into the butter mixture.
- In two stages, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until combined. Stir in chopped ginger
- Let the dough rest, covered in plastic-wrap, in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Remove dough from freezer. Shape the dough into small spheres, about an inch and a half in diameter. Place the dough spheres on silpats, parchment paper, or a greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down lightly–but only enough to keep the dough spheres from rolling. Do not press the cookies flat!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until firm.