Vanilla cardamom cookies
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1 heaping Tbspn ground cardamom (or more, if you want extra spicy cookies)
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tspn vanilla
- vanilla sugar, optional (recipe found below)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cardamom, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla to the fluffed butter and sugar.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients in two batches and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in 2-3 separate portions in parchment paper and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
Darjeeling tea filling
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4-5 Tbspn loose leaf Darjeeling tea
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup veggie shortening
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and Darjeeling tea. Bring to almost a boil.
- Remove the milk from heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Return the milk to heat and simmer until the liquid reduces by about a half or more. Let cool.
- In a mixer, beat butter and shortening for about 2-3 minutes on medium.
- Add milk tea and gradually mix in powdered sugar.
- With mixer on high, beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Baking and assembling:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Take one portion of dough out of the freezer at a time. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper or on a floured surface until about 1/4″ thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place prepared dough on a pan with a silpat or sheet of parchment paper. If using, sprinkle each piece with vanilla sugar.
- Bake cookies for ~15-18 minutes, rotating once half-way through.
- Remove cookies and let cool.
- Fill a pastry bag with the filling and pipe a small amount on a cookie. Sandwich the filling with another cookie and gently press down.
for vanilla sugar:
- Fill a clean jar with sugar.
- Split open a vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the sugar in the jar. Mix.
- Bury the vanilla bean in the sugar as well.
- Seal the jar tightly and keep in a cool, dark place for at least 1 week until the sugar absorbs the vanilla fragrance.