for the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking spice (can substitute cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⅓ cup white sugar
- 4 large, overripe bananas, mashed well (approximately 14 ounces)
for the Filling:
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
for the Frosting:
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toffee chocolate bar pieces for garnish (like Heath bar)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, baking spice, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and mashed bananas on medium speed until smooth. Gradually stir dry ingredients into banana mixture. Spoon into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- To make the filling: combine the dark brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Do not stir! Boil for 3-5 minutes, or until mixture deepens in color. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and butter. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens ONLY sightly.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.
- To assemble. Use a knife to cut out the top of a cupcake in a cone shape. Spoon/pipe in toffee filling. Put frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip. Frost. Garnish with toffee bar pieces, if desired.