makes ~12-14 pies
- 2 cups (260 gr) AP flour
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 4 oz.(113 gr) extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup (151 gr) butter, cold
- 5-6 Tbspn water, cold
- 500 gr apples
- 1 Tbspn lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (25 gr) sugar
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tspn ground cloves
- 1/2 tspn freshly grated nutmeg
- heavy cream
- turbinado sugar
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Coarsely grate the cheese. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the cheese and cold butter into the flour until the size of small peas.
- Gradually add the water one tablespoon at a time until the dough holds together when pressed. Do not overmix!
- Wrap the dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Peel, core, and chop the apples into small chunks. Toss to combine the apples with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out to about 1/8″ thick. Cut out 5 inch circles. Fill each circle with apples and fold in half. Press the edges together tightly, crimping with a fork. Cut three small slits on the top of each pie. Chill the pies in the refrigerator or freezer briefly if the dough has softened.
- Before baking, brush the tops of the pies with heavy cream. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 230 degrees F for five minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 15 more minutes, until the crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool briefly before serving.