- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar (rounded)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 cup half & half
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. (Parchment isn’t necessary, but it helps.)
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl. (By “sift” I mean put the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well with a whisk.) Mix in orange peel.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips, or cut in with a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in dried cranberries.
- Measure half & half into glass measuring cup and add orange extract. Add half & half, tossing with fork until moist clumps form. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead briefly to bind dough, about 4 turns.
- Cut ball of dough in half. Form dough into 2 1-inch-thick rounds. Cut into 6 wedges each. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with a little half and half and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 190°C until tops of scones are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet 10 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.