makes ~24 mini hearts
for graham cracker crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix in butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into (sprayed and lined) the bottoms of the pans, about 1 Tbspn per heart. Use something like the side of a small rolling pin to press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan and a little bit up the sides.
- Put the crust in the freezer while making the filling.
- 2 14oz. cans condensed milk
- 8 large egg yolks (save those whites for meringues/macarons!)
- 2-3 Tbspn key lime zest
- 1 cup key lime juice (~25 key limes… have fun!)
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees C.
- Combine milk, yolks, zest, and juice in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in one to two drops of food coloring for a light green color.
- Pour mixture into the crumb-prepared pans, filling about to about two-thirds full. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the center looks set but moves like jello when you give the pan a bit of a gentle shake.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Keep the pies in the pans until you are ready to serve.