- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 8 oz. (1 1/3 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped roasted & unsalted almonds
- In a large heat-resistant bowl, beat eggs lightly with a whisk.
- Beat sugar into the eggs until incorporated.
- In a medium or large heavy saucepan over medium low heat, heat the milk, 1 cup of the cream, chocolate and salt. Stir pretty regularly until the chocolate starts to melt.
- When chocolate is partially melted, whisk in the cocoa powder. Then continue stirring to melt the chocolate.
- When hot (and chocolate is fully melted & cocoa is dissolved), but not boiling, remove from stove and gradually stir into the egg & sugar mixture. Start with only 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the hot mixture so you don’t scramble the eggs. Then pour in the rest and mix thoroughly.
- Add the second cup of cream and the vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until COLD. This will take all day or all night.
- Using an electric ice cream maker, freeze ice cream according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a container you can seal and stir in the almonds to evenly distribute them. Freeze for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before scooping and eating.
Makes about a half gallon.