- 115g good quality dark chocolate
- 115g salted butter
- 1 shot of strong espresso or 1 Tbl of instant coffee granules
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 60g caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease and butter 4 x 125ml ramekins.
- In a heavy based pan over low heat, melt the chocolate, butter and coffee until melted. Stir to a glossy batter. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer for at least 5 minutes or until pale, thick and leaves ribbons trails.
- Add chocolate and flour and gently fold until just combined. Be careful not to knock too much air out of the batter.
- Divide batter amongst ramekins and place on a baking tray. Fondants can be covered with clingwrap and stored in the fridge or freezer at this stage.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops have risen and have set (but still soft underneath). If baking straight from the fridge, bake for about 14 minutes. If frozen, bake for 15 minutes. Note: Ovens vary so you might have to test one out to get the exact baking time.
- Remove fondants from the oven and serve it straight from the ramekin (my preference because I suck at unmolding things). If unmolding, rest for a minute then run a palette knife around the edges and turn out onto a plate.
- If baked from frozen, rest for 2 minutes before unmolding.